The Big Easy Driver, designed by [Brian Schmalz](http://www.schmalzhaus.com/), is a stepper motor driver board for bi-polar stepper motors up to a max 2A/phase. It is based on the Allegro A4988 stepper driver chip. It’s the next version of the popular Easy Driver board.
Each Big Easy Driver can drive up to a max of 2A per phase of a bi-polar stepper motor. It is a chopper microstepping driver which defaults to 16 step microstepping mode. It can take a maximum motor drive voltage of around 30V, and includes on-board 5V/3.3V regulation, so only one supply is necessary. Although this board should be able to run most systems without active cooling while operating at 1.4-1.7A/phase, a [heatsink](https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11510) is required for loads approaching 2A/phase. You can find the recommended heatsink in the related items below.
**Note:** This product is a collaboration with Brian Schmalz. A portion of each sales goes back to him for product support and continued development.
* Bi-polar Microstepping Driver
* 2A/Phase Max
* 1.4-1.7A/Phase w/o Heatsink
* Max Motor Drive Voltage: 30V
* On-board 5V/3.3V Regulation
* [Eagle Files](https://cdn.sparkfun.com/datasheets/Robotics/BigEasyDriver_v16a.zip)
* [Hookup Guide](https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/big-easy-driver-hookup-guide)
* [Datasheet](https://cdn.sparkfun.com/datasheets/Robotics/A4988-Datasheet.pdf) (A4988)
* [Design Site](http://www.schmalzhaus.com/BigEasyDriver/)