This is a breakout board for the SP3485 RS-485 transceiver IC, which will convert a UART serial stream to RS-485. The SP3485 is a half-duplex transceiver, so it can only communicate one way at a time, but it can reach transmission speeds of up to 10Mbps. This board requires a very low amount of power and can operate from a single +3.3VDC supply.
This breakout board includes the SP3485 RS-485 transceiver, filter capacitor, and other components shown on the schematic. We’ve broken out the RS-485 output to three different connections: (1) an [RJ-45 connector](http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=643), (2) a [3-pin 3.55mm screw terminal](http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=8235), and (3) a 3-pin 0.1″ pitch header; none of these output connectors come populated.
* Fully equipped with SP3485 RS-485 transceiver and supporting components
* Operates from a single +3.3V supply
* Interoperable with +5.0V logic
* RS-485 input/output broken out to RJ-45 connector, 3.5mm screw terminal, and 0.1″ pitch header
* Driver/Receiver Enable connected to RTS line
* -7V to +12V Common-Mode Input Voltage Range
* Allows up to 32 transceivers on the serial bus
* Driver Output Short-Circuit Protection
* [Eagle Files](https://cdn.sparkfun.com/datasheets/BreakoutBoards/RS485_Breakout_v10.zip)
* [Datasheet](http://www.sparkfun.com/datasheets/Components/General/sp3485CN-LTR.pdf) (SP3485)
* [GitHub](https://github.com/sparkfun/RS-485_Breakout/tree/V_1.0) (Design Files)