The STA540 from STMicro is a 4-channel, [class AB](http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_amplifier#Class_B_and_AB) audio amplifier designed for high quality sound applications. The four independent channels makes this amplifier a great choice for a number of projects, with needs ranging from four speakers stereo (F/R) to two-speaker bridge solutions. The chip accepts a voltage supply ranging from 8 to 22VDC and has very high output power capability.
This chip comes in a staggered-lead Multiwatt-15 package. While our [breakout board](http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=9540) for the L298N isn’t designed for it specifically, it will breakout out all pins of the STA540 to a more standard single row of 0.1″ pitch headers. Also, keep an eye out for some upcoming amplifier products based on this chip!
It works great with the 6400BG Heatsink!
* High output power capability
* Standby function (CMOS compatible)
* Minimum external components count:
* no bootstrap capacitors
* no Boucherot cells
* internally fixed gain 20 dB
* No audible pop during standby operations
* Diagnostic facilities:
* clip detector
* output to GND short-circuit detector
* output to VS short-circuit detector
* soft short-circuit check at turn-on
* thermal shutdown warning
* Output AC/DC short circuit protection
* Soft short-circuit check at turn-on
* Thermal cutoff/limiter to prevent chip from overheating