The Elektor DIY LiPo Supercharger/Booster (developed the electronics engineer/YouTuber GreatScott! and produced by Elektor) can charge a single-cell LiPo battery and protect it against the effects of overvoltage, overload, and short-circuits. Additionally, it can boost the battery voltage to 5V or 12V. The boosted output voltage is protected by an ‘eFuse’ IC outputting 1.52A at 5V or 0.76A at 12V maximum.
The charger part of the circuit needs a +5V power supply which can be connected through USB-C, or simply two wires soldered to pads on the PCB. In addition, other connections can be soldered to pads on the PCB or by using single pinheaders. This does not have the mating connector to the JST connector on our LiPo batteries. The battery (or a separate header) will need to be soldered in.
**Note:** This kit requires surface mount soldering which is a bit more difficult than through-hole. The pads are larger to allow for soldering with a soldering iron, but it does take a bit of skill.
* 1x Mainboard pre-assembled with the four ICs
* 15x Resistors
* 3x LEDs
* 13x Capacitors
* 2x Switches
* 1x USB-C on a breakout board
* 2x Diodes
* Battery – Single-cell lithium-ion or lithium-polymer battery
* Input Voltage – +5V / 2A max.
* Output Voltage
* 5V / 1.52A
* 12V / 0.76A
* LiPo Protection – XB8089D
* Overcharge Detection – 4.250V
* Overcharge Release – 4.10V
* Overdischarge Detection – 2.50V
* Overdischarge Release – 3V
* Overcurrent Detection – 10.0A
* Thermal Shutdown Auto-retry
* Enable/Undervoltage Lockout
* Rising: 1.2V (typ.)
* Falling: 1.1V (typ.)
* [Assembly Manual](https://cdn.sparkfun.com/assets/0/0/f/c/7/Manual_DIY_LiPo_Supercharger_Kit.pdf)
* [Bill of Materials](https://cdn.sparkfun.com/assets/a/0/8/b/f/BOM_DIY_LiPo_Supercharger_Kit.zip)
* [Gerber Files](https://cdn.sparkfun.com/assets/7/c/6/b/4/Gerber_Files_DIY_LiPo_Supercharger_Kit.zip)
* [Product Feature Video](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LxRnf6sQNQ)
* [Product Review From SparkFun Engineer](https://f.hubspotusercontent00.net/hubfs/2224003/Special%20Campaigns/Elektor/200693-01%20DIY%20LiPo%20Supercharger%20Kit.pdf)