The XL series of MaxSonars are a super high-performance version of the easy-to-use sonar range finder from [Maxbotix](http://www.maxbotix.com/). The XL series of this sensor features higher resolution, longer range, higher power output and better calibration when compared to the [LV version](http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=8502).
We are extremely pleased with the size, quality, and ease of use of this little range finder. The sensor provides very accurate readings from 0 to 765cm (0 to 25.1ft) with 1cm resolution. This sensor can be powered with anywhere between 3.3 and 5VDC.
Range information can be gathered through one of three methods – analog, serial, or PWM – all of which are active at the same time. The analog output will produce a voltage proportional to the measured distance, with a sensitivity of (Vcc/1024)V/cm. The serial interface is simple and formatted to RS-232, with voltages ranging from 0 to Vcc and terminal settings of 9600-8-N-1. Finally, the PWM pin outputs a pulse-width representation of the range with a scale factor of 58us/cm.
The Maxsonar-XL series is offered in the EZ0, EZ1, EZ2, EZ3, and EZ4 versions, each with progressively narrower beam angles allowing the sensor to match the application. Please see beam width explanation below.
* 3.3V to 5V supply with very low average current draw
* High acoustic power output
* All interfaces are active simultaneously:
* RS-232 serial
* 0 to Vcc output range
* 9600 baud, 8-N-1
* Analog, (Vcc/1024) / cm
* Pulse Width
* Real-time auto calibration and noise rejection for every ranging cycle
* Calibrated beam angle
* Object detection includes zero range objects
* Readings can occur up to every 100mS, (10-Hz rate)
* Free run operation can continually measure and output range information
* Triggered operation provides the range reading as desired
* Sensor operates at 42KHz
* [Maxsonar Selection Guide](http://www.sparkfun.com/datasheets/Sensors/Proximity/Sensor_Selection_Guide.pdf)
* [Beam Width Explanation](http://www.maxbotix.com/uploads/MaxBotixNewProducts.pdf)
* [Maxbotix FAQ](http://www.maxbotix.com/MaxSonar-EZ1__FAQ.html)